Saturday, January 19, 2019

Aren't You Glad Facebook Doesn't Make Software for Nukes? You Should be!

Four years ago today, on January 19, 2015, I posted on Facebook a photo of myself sitting on this giant office chair. The next morning, my friend Alex posted a comment: "Ira the boss?" A few hours later, I posted a comment (kind of replying to Alex's): "It's the chair :-P".

Here's an important detail: the first comment was posted by Alex from the GMT+2 time zone while my "kind of reply" was posted from the GMT-5 time zone. Back then the comments were displayed in the correct order (i.e., in the order they were posted). At least, I (in the GMT-5 time zone) saw them in that order.

Now that I am in the GMT+2 time zone, the timestamp (I assume that's what the date and time displayed when you hover over the "4y" links below comments are) of my comment appears to be earlier (January 20, 2015 at 7:01 AM) than that of the Alex's first comment (January 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM). The time zones from which the comments where originally posted and the 7-hour difference between them appear to be completely ignored. As a result, the comments are displayed in the reverse order.

Aren't you glad Facebook doesn't develop software for, like... nukes?!:-P

No comments: